Leeton and Yanco exist today due to the activity of wealthy Irish landholder Sir Samuel McCaughey, who on his property North Yanko, demonstrated to politicians that irrigation was possible. His influence led the government to commence constructing a giant irrigation scheme in 1906, and in 1912 the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area was officially opened. In later years the magnificent house became the dormitory for the Yanco Agricultural High School.
The school welcomes inspections of the building during school holidays by appointment.
Information correct at time of publishing. Opening times may change at short notice. Check with the venue before arriving to be sure.
Last modified July 20, 2022