Leeton and Yanco exist today due to the activity of wealthy Irish landholder Sir Samuel McCaughey, who on his property North Yanko, demonstrated to politicians that irrigation was possible. His influence led the government to commence constructing a giant irrigation scheme in 1906, and in 1912 the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area was officially opened. In later years the magnificent house became the dormitory for the Yanco Agricultural High School.

The school welcomes inspections of the building during school holidays by appointment.

Information correct at time of publishing. Opening times may change at short notice. Check with the venue before arriving to be sure.

Last modified July 20, 2022

Nature
in Leeton
Fivebough Wetlands
History & Heritage, Touring Routes
in Leeton
Leeton Water Tower
Arts & Culture
in Yanco
Lyrics, Landscapes and Lintels Public Art Trail
Hotels & Motels
in Leeton
Leeton Centre Motel
Self-Contained
in Leeton
The Enterprise Suite – Rooms of Renown
Self-Contained
in Leeton
Kindred Lodge and Kindred Parkside Apartments
Cafes
in Leeton
Mick’s Bakehouse
Wineries
in Leeton
Lillypilly Estate Wines
Cafes
in Leeton
Luke’s Takeaway
First Saturday of the Month
in Leeton
Leeton Farmers and Makers Markets
Last Sunday of the month
in Yanco
Miniature Trains ~ Yanco
The Last Sunday of Every Month
in Yanco
Yanco Markets